First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time. For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth. (1 Timothy 2:1-7)
What a glimpse into the heart of God! He desires people to be saved, and he provided one mediator, Christ Jesus, to be our ransom. In light of this, we are called to make prayer a first priority. This also affected Paul's participation in the mission. The church carries on that work today of preaching and teaching.
Since Christ Jesus is the mediator, he is the only "bridge" between lost people and God. As a church, our part is to pray and to relate well to the surrounding culture. By some estimates, Orlando is 80% non-churched. So let's pray for them, and for our work of building "common ground" bridges with the culture:
- Pray that our worship services would be an open door for all, believers and non-believers alike. Pray that people will come to faith through our worship.
- Relationships: this is one of our best connections with the culture. Jesus himself was known as a "friend of sinners." Pray that God will give all of us common ground relationships with people who need Jesus.
- Christmas: pray that the light of the gospel would go out from all the churches I Orlando at Christmas season.
- Events: Pray for our partnerships with event planners in Baldwin Park, and for our participation in events throughout the year.
- Digital Media: Pray that God would give us bridges to people through the common space of digital media.
- Real life issues: Pray that God would give us ways to relate the gospel to real life issues in the lives of people.
- Pray for all those in authority, that we would continue to have freedom to preach the gospel. Pray that God would "open doors" for the gospel.
- Praise God for Christ the Mediator, who met us in our need through his incarnation, death, and resurrection.