...praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel... (Ephesians 6:18-19)
A number of the verses in the New Testament about prayer include a call to "alertness." Sometimes our spiritual senses can grow dull, and there is a kind of spiritual alertness needed in prayer. One reason for that is the spiritual conflict that rages in the unseen realm, what Donald Gray Barnhouse called "the invisible war." That's the context of these verses in Ephesians 6. The only way to wage such a conflict is on our knees, with spiritual alertness.
It's interesting that Paul also requests prayer for himself. If the apostle Paul was in need of prayer, how much is that true of the rest of us! This month we've prayed for our deacons and elders by name. Today, would you take a few moments to pray for our LBC staff team?
- Fritz Schalmo: Pray for Fritz as he leads our youth ministry. He works with a wide range of ages, interest, and schedules. Along with that, he offers free counseling to folks in our church, and God is using him to see lives changed. Remember to pray for Fritz and Barbie together, as they anticipate the birth of their first child, very soon.
- Michelle Crouse: God has gifted Michelle to bring the right kind of leadership to our children's ministry. Pray for her as she works with an extensive volunteer rotation, and as she relates to children and families. Pray, too, for her family: Joshua, Daniel, and Tiffany. Pray specifically that God would raise up a high level team around Michelle to coordinate Sunday mornings on a rotating basis.
- Tim Inman: In God's providence he has brought Tim and Angela to plan and lead our worship team and worship services on an interim basis. Pray for them, as Angela works a full-time job, and as Tim resumes his seminary studies. Pray for them, too, as they help lead our congregation to the throne of grace each week,
- Terri Poulos: Our new church administrator has stepped into this role with a great mix of admin skill and people skills. She and her husband, Jamie, just adopted a newborn child, and she is in New Orleans with the new baby. Pray for their family. Also, pray for Lisa Rigsby as she fills in for Terri during maternity leave.
- Mike and Molly Tilley: We always appreciate your prayers as we have the joy of relating to the LBC congregation. Pray for boldness in my preaching of Exodus. Pray for our spiritual and emotional strength in navigating a range of responsibilities.in
- For the whole team, pray that we would experience and embody the grace of the gospel of Christ, serving him in dependence on the Holy Spirit. Pray that we would experience the fullness of faith, hope, and love as we follow Jesus